The Nigerian government said on Thursday that it is still reviewing the draft agreement between the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) and the Yayale Ahmed renegotiation committee submitted in February.
Speaking to journalists in Abuja after a meeting on the renegotiation process, the Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, explained that a seven-member committee headed by the ministry’s permanent secretary, Abel Enitan, had been set up to review the draft and present the government’s counter-proposal to the committee for onward transmission to the academic union.
Mr Alausa said the government had yet to sign any agreement with the union, noting that the document from the Yayale Ahmed committee remains a draft.
“We want an agreement where every component is actionable and feasible,” he said.
“We are committed to solving this problem once and for all. What has lingered since the 2009 and 2021 agreements will now be addressed in a sustainable way.”
ASUU had said it was awaiting the outcome of the government’s 28 August (today’s) meeting before it decides on the next line of action, which it said could be a strike.
Mr Alausa said the ‘high-level’ meeting was held on Thursday regarding the renegotiation process and the draft agreement.
He listed attendees to include the Minister of State for Education, Suwaiba Ahmed; the Minister of Labour and Productivity, Muhammad Dingyadi; and Solicitor-General of the Federation and Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Justice, Beatrice Jedy-Agba.
Others are the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Education, Abel Enitan; that of Labour, Salihu Usman; head of the National Universities Commission (NUC), Abdullahi Ribadu; head of the National Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission (NSIWC), Ekpo Nta; and the head of the Budget Office, Tanimu Yakubu.
He said the justice ministry is now fully involved in the entire process to ensure agreements comply with constitutional provisions.
Source: Premium Times